Not for adventure sports it’s not! Reading that the UK capital just won the prestigious World Travel Awards Leading Destination 2010 got me thinking: Who exactly is it the best destination for? Just how can you ever have a ‘World’s Leading Destination’?
For lovers of history, monarchy or fashion, you could have a world’s most historic, regal or fashionable destination. But you just can’t bulk it together like this and expect it to represent or reflect anything – adventure sports fans in UK love London, but more for its connections than its challenges.
London’s hidden strength is its location, because anywhere in the British Isles is within reach.
But as with every metropolis, there’s rarely any way to get really adventurous without leaving it behind. Think about it: does anyone visit London for its adventure sports? Well, not if they enjoy the great outdoors kind of sports that we specialise in.
Not to worry, just a few hours’ travel and you have the mountains of Wales, the fells and lakes of the Yorkshire Dales, the seriously challenging Cairngorms in Scotland, and the beaches of Dorset and Cornwall within view.
There’s also London’s proximity to other European nations to factor in….
Even if you decide not to fly, it’s still possible to get around thanks to the continents’ reliable rail connections. Venture further east to find new opportunities: In Poland, there’s great skiing holidays and in Croatia -which is gaining a reputation for its trekking and its scuba diving holidays – there’s even more to do.
London may be the darling of the travel industry and about to host the Olympics, however it’s clearly not the world’s best adventure travel destination.
So we want to know: where is the world’s best adventure travel destination?
- Travel pictures and the worlds 10 best travel photography cities
- The Outdoors Show: its the biggest show on earth!
- Rainbow Nation: Adventure Sports Destination
5 Comments to “Is London really the world’s best destination?”
- Adventure Sports & Travel Thoughts
- New Adventure Travel Ideas
- Our Experts
- Top 10s
- Travel Gear
- Adventure Sports Insurance: What Does The EHIC Actually Cover?
- Kayaking Challenges: Paddling 1300km in handmade kayaks
- Child-Free Sports: Time to reclaim the wave?
- New Zealand: Spiritual Home of Adventure Sports
- 5 Things Cyclists Never Do
- Kevlar Swiss Socks that Rock!
- Adventure Race Events: Trying the Toughest Challenges on Earth