Cycling in the UK has soared in popularity in the past few years, encouraged by the cycle to work scheme, the development of our National Cycle Network and investment in bike-safety education within schools.
But no matter how much money and positive press we throw at the situation, British family bike tours will never compete with similar French offerings.
It’s a sad fact, but Britain is not a good place for cycle holidays, and certainly not for family bike tours, when safe, stress-free cycling is essential.
Quaint country roads sabotaged by fast cars; cycle lanes that ‘end’ without warning; abuse from other road users: cycling on home soil is a challenge. We have some superb cycle-paths that are perfect for commuting and fun for weekend rides but, unless you’re into hard-core off-roading, you’ll soon peddle into busy roads and bolshie motorists.
- Adventure Sports & Travel Thoughts
- New Adventure Travel Ideas
- Our Experts
- Top 10s
- Travel Gear
- Adventure Sports Insurance: What Does The EHIC Actually Cover?
- Kayaking Challenges: Paddling 1300km in handmade kayaks
- Child-Free Sports: Time to reclaim the wave?
- New Zealand: Spiritual Home of Adventure Sports
- 5 Things Cyclists Never Do
- Kevlar Swiss Socks that Rock!
- Adventure Race Events: Trying the Toughest Challenges on Earth