In June 2011 the Cook Islands will be hosting its inaugural International Cook Islands Kitesurfing Competition in Aitutaki, with some of the world’s biggest names in kitesurfing competing. The Cook Islands Kitesurfing Association has organised the event which promises to launch the Cook Islands as an international kitesurfing destination with some of the world’s biggest names set to compete in the line-up.
The competition opens with an exhibition event on 25th June 2011 at Muri Lagoon and the main competition takes place at Motu Maina Iti off Aitutaki from 29th June to 2nd July 2011.
Two-time world champion Jesse Richman has confirmed he’ll be competing; the Maui born 18 year old is a two-time KPWT champion and has won gold in international competitions all over the world. Also competing and going for gold is Cameron Dietrich, one of kitesurfing’s biggest names and has also been named the sport’s worldwide ambassador.
The judge’s panel will also include some impressive names in the kitesurfing world. Three-time Queen of the Air Susi Mai has agreed to judge along with Tahitian pro rider Moehau Goold.
- Adventure Sports & Travel Thoughts
- New Adventure Travel Ideas
- Our Experts
- Top 10s
- Travel Gear
- Adventure Sports Insurance: What Does The EHIC Actually Cover?
- Kayaking Challenges: Paddling 1300km in handmade kayaks
- Child-Free Sports: Time to reclaim the wave?
- New Zealand: Spiritual Home of Adventure Sports
- 5 Things Cyclists Never Do
- Kevlar Swiss Socks that Rock!
- Adventure Race Events: Trying the Toughest Challenges on Earth