Leaving a legacy behind of bewildering manmade structures and an enduring culture, the Incas were undoubtedly an intriguing and mystifying empire.
Springing up in the Peruvian highlands in the 13th century, the mighty civilization gradually took over many parts of western South America, particularly around the Andes.
But its heart remains in its homeland of Peru. Head here today and the remnants of its past lie at its fore, from the Quecha-speaking locals of Cusco to the stalwart ancient wonder of Machu Picchu.
And while this South American beauty is awash with adventure sports, it’s also a formidable centre of Inca culture and history. Here’s our guide to the best Inca sites in Peru…
- Adventure Sports & Travel Thoughts
- New Adventure Travel Ideas
- Our Experts
- Top 10s
- Travel Gear
- Adventure Sports Insurance: What Does The EHIC Actually Cover?
- Kayaking Challenges: Paddling 1300km in handmade kayaks
- Child-Free Sports: Time to reclaim the wave?
- New Zealand: Spiritual Home of Adventure Sports
- 5 Things Cyclists Never Do
- Kevlar Swiss Socks that Rock!
- Adventure Race Events: Trying the Toughest Challenges on Earth